Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Fantasy (Football) Life

I'm the proud commissioner of the Psych Department's fantasy football league, and by "proud" I actually mean "incompetent." I admit that I have absolutely no idea how to manage a fantasy football league. (For example, typically FFB leagues are set up "head-to-head", which means each week you play a different player's "team" in order to decide a winner. I mistakenly set up my league so that "points" determine who wins overall. This makes FFB 90% less fun, which is fitting because I am comfortably in 9th place out of ten teams in my league.) I took on the task only because nobody else wanted to do it, and I know it would never get done if I weren't doing it... so I did it.

I love it when friends ask each other for advice on their fantasy team. Nobody knows what they're doing when it comes to fantasy football -- so just pick the best players you can, from the best teams that you can. There are some stastical trends I've noticed, like the superiority of picking an OK player from a good team over a good player from a bad team. But besides that, it's a crapshoot. Who outside of Atlanta knew who Michael Turner was before he blew up for 304 yards in Week 1? I sure as hell didn't. I picked a fantasy team that would have been awesome in 2005.

*****************************************

I'm not going to debate politics on this blog, but I picked up the 2001 edition of David Halberstam's "The Best and Brightest" yesterday at the library, because I've never read anything about the Vietnam War and, you know, I deserve some light bedtime reading. Anyway, if you get the chance, you should pick up this book, both for its contents and also for the introduction by Sen. John McCain. It's amazing how the past 7 years - and the necessity to pander to the conservative right - have completely changed his views on war. You should read it before you decide who to vote for (if you haven't decided yet). I really liked the pre-2008 John McCain.

*****************************************

Hey Brainpan, what do you think of the new Metallica CD? I haven't heard it yet...

*****************************************

Finally, consistent readers know that I like working on a college campus because, although I get a year older each September, the freshmen stay the same age. (NOTE: Giggity. Also, kind of annoying, because freshmen are really immature and behave like total retards most of the time.) But I now think that the provocative clothing by females has gone too far. Seriously, when did it become acceptable to wear only a towel around campus? I'm not complaining about thisper se, but if that were my 18-year-old daughter, she'd be chained to a radiator and fed gruel twice a week. In my modest opinion, ridiculously provocative clothing worn by females should be kept to either (a) the beach, or (b) situations where the immediate result is getting laid (e.g., a bar, a party, filming an adult video). College campuses aren't appropriate for this. Just saying.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I've felt this way for a long time... about the female clothing. THESE KIDS TODAY, etc. I blame the rock music and the tee vee.

I think it goes back to the maturity argument. It goes like this:
Step 1: teenage girl wears skimply (sic) clothes and receives positive attention from boys.
Step 2: Teenage girl grows up and finds no new way to receive positive attention from boys, so grownup girl wears skimply (sic again) clothes.

And yes, I've just conjectured two things: (1) girls dress provocatively to get attention (go ahead, I dare you to disagree), and (2) "skimply," while initially a typo, is too much fun to say for it to NOT be a real word.