Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I should be at the top of my class....

I have had yet another epiphany. Law school tries to instill the same values in you that an Irish family does.

I mean, think about it. Irish families tend to drink a bit more than other families, mine does, when we get together it's 5 o'clock immediately following breakfast, which is immediately following church. You would think it would go breakfast and then church to pregame on the communion wine but alas years of whiskey have destroyed this sort of logical thinking. The Irish weddings I have gone to seem to focus more on the Jamesons than the vows. One of the first things I learned in law school is that there is always some sort of event in the building where you can obtain free booze, and I mean BOOZE, not just beer, because those judges and attorney's need their scotch. Granted none of this starts before late afternoon but the premise is the same.

Irish families, at least real Irish families, don't really talk about any estrogen based "feelings", dreams or anything else that psychologists like to pick apart. I like to call this the Dennis Leary factor.



We do however love to share our anger, especially when our favorite sports team is losing or getting bad calls from the refs. But in general there isn't much talking on a non-superficial level. Law school is similar, it condemns you for speaking your mind. Instead it prefers that you speak in such a way that you tell people what you think, but you also have to make them feel like you agree with them now matter how much you actually disagree with them. So, essentially, you have to speak but it would be more truthful and insightful if you don't. Probably why no one ever understands what lawyers are talking about, they are trying to be as obtuse as possible to not rub anyone the right way, incidentally this may be why almost all politicians are lawyers. I challenge you to find out one thing they actually think about anything. At least the Irish just stay mute on certain topics so they don't have to lie to one another.

I feel it's much better/healthier for an individual to talk about the happy things and have a beer than to use alcohol to repress their urge to speak their mind. Eventually they are going to snap. Seeing as I tend to use my friends as my sounding board and say the most idiotic and sometimes very inappropriate things to balance out my law school oppression no one has to worry about me exploding on them for a quite a while.

1 comment:

Fred said...

+1 for the fantastic Denis Leary picture. I saw the "No Cure For Cancer" on HBO17 a few weeks ago, and it's amazing how hopped up on cocaine/greenies/meth he must have been to pull that stand-up comedy off. Just brilliant.

The problem with people in general - but particularly the hyper-educated ones - is that they're too sensitive. Back when I was working, we used to talk about the most horrible things in the office, and pull ridiculous pranks on people. (Once we convinced half our group that they were getting fired. This was 80% as awesome as you might imagine.) Imagine if you tried to pull that shit in law school, or if I tried in grad school? We'd get kicked out because we "hurt people's feelings."

So in sum, fuck feelings, man. And Tony Romo. But mostly, feelings.