Monday, October 27, 2008

The Al Bundy Theorem... More Dangerous than Murphy's Law

If you grew up in the 90's chances are you saw that wonderful anti-show called Married With Children that mocked, belittled and showed the pointlessness of the typical show on air at the time. It starred Ed O'Neill as Al Bundy, a man who had everything going for him until one day in high school he admitted that he was having good luck. He went from being an all start football player to being married to an obnoxious woman, having money grubbing children and pretty much the most degrading job a 40+ year old man can have, a women's shoe salesman. Needless to say that this theorem dictates that if an individual were to admit to having good luck he would immediately incur a greater amount of bad luck, enough to break his spirit ten times over.

Today as I sat in class I had an epiphany. Many good things have been happening to me in the last week; I didn't have to give my oral argument (which I was totally under prepared for), got to make a trip to AC with all my co-bloggers (where instead of sleeping I played black jack all night, with Red Bull being introduced to my system intravenously, and I doubled my money), I went into school on Saturday to study in the library to discover that there was an open house and I got paid/fed to give a tour of the building and Sunday my team totally dominated in the annual flag football tournament. Seriously, we won all of our games by at least 3 touchdowns. Our reward, besides bragging rights for the next year, which we have already started on, is an open bar event in a few weeks. Oh I almost forgot the best, I had been trying to warn an Ex of mine that she was not taking the LSAT (law school admission test) way to lightly and that she should take one of those unbelievably over priced classes. She insisted that she was super smart, I won't deny she is smart but you can't just take 1 practice exam and think you're the grand master of LSAT, and this week she told me that she totally bombed the test, so badly that she won't tell me her score. So now I have an "I told you so" in my pocket.

I refuse to admit this has anything to do with luck because god may strike me down with lightning, as he did Al Bundy. I prefer to think of it as payment due. I like to think that I have always been the nice guy and have done nice things just because, knowing full well no reward or pat on the back was coming but this seems to be a welcomed down payment. If this streak should continue into exams I would consider the debt paid in full... please??!?? If I were to admit to having luck, as opposed to finally cashing in on some long overdue IOU's, a plane heading for Newark airport would most likely crash into my apt while i am at school destroying everything I own, I'd graduate law school only to never pass the bar and a plethora of other horribly frustrating, demoralizing things would happen to me. However, I would at least not have to worry about my health, because you see in a situation such as this the suffering is meant to be inflicted over the longest period possible.

3 comments:

PatentlyJersey said...

Oh and I forgot to mention that Rutgers won another Big East game on Saturday....

Anonymous said...

You mean "too" not "to". Also, your reward is an inflated feeling of superiority that you can inwardly lord over everyone else. Feeling better than everyone is its own reward.

Fred said...

I agree, never admit good luck. Otherwise, Rutgers will lose to Syracuse, Green Bay will lose the rest of the season, you'll contract syphilis, and the next time you play blackjack you'll have all your money taken away by a four-fingered dealer named Zhang.